Hong Kong Murray House located on reclaimed Stanley, Hong Kong. We offer complete Murray House tour packages, destination best tour offers and travel deals and Destination holiday packages for family. Murray House is a Victorian-era building in Stanley, Hong Kong. Built in the present-day business district of Central in 1844 as officers' quarters of the Murray Barracks,the building was moved to the south of Hong Kong Island during the 2000s.
Murray House was one of the oldest surviving public buildings in Hong Kong. Similar to many of its contemporaries from the early colonial era, it was designed in Classical architecture style. The heavy stone walls (with flat arched opening) are on the ground floor to give a sense of stability, while the lighter Doric and Ionic columns are on the floors above to allow better ventilation. All floors have verandas on all sides in response to the local subtropical/monsoons climate.
In 1982 it was dismantled to make way for the Bank of China Tower which now sits on the original site. It was finally reassembled in it's present location in Stanley behind the end of Stanley Main Street, on the right-hand side of the bay during the years 1998/1999. The Hong Kong Maritime Museum was established on the ground floor of Murray House in 2005